Nearing Fall of 2023…..looking back and going forward.

 Hmmmm, where to begin, it has been nearly 2 decades since I started this blog.  A lot has happened in that time! Let me just say , I am grateful to be here today alive and enjoying my family & friends and especially all our wonderful grandchildren! My life changed dramatically in 2014 as I navigated through a breast cancer diagnosis and subsequent treatments , a process that consumed nearby all of 2015….. I am very proud to say that I continued to work “ full time” in my medical marketing career ( with the help of very understanding employers and the help of amazing colleagues) and some how made it out of that tunnel! Well for a while , complications from the treatment caused me to embark on an unplanned early retirement, for a while I felt like a lost puppy, struggling to understand what my purpose was in life , kids all grown and career abruptly stopped…..then the news that our youngest daughter Jessica was going to have a baby!  Juliet was born June 30,2018. Shortly after I became a full time “Gammie” !  Well I discovered my “purpose” again.  It has been non stop ever since.  I discovered how to make the best homemade baby food and freezer the meals so that Julie can experience an enhanced palate using only fresh ingredients and tome appropriate seasonings ( I dove into when and what herbs can be introduced at what months of age) , she is now 5 and enjoys many varieties of cuisine , which is unusual for most toddlers and young children , so I think my efforts were worth it lol.  I had the pure Joy of helping raise Juliet while my daughter worked for 2 1/2 years!  It feels like a gift was given to me and I’ve never looked back since , my days since have been filled with “ Grammie” chores ( became a champ of the parent pick up lines for my daughter Chrissy’s daughters , and available for “ sick days” when needed . And through all of this my love of cooking came back to me, last year was the first year that I gave up doing the Christmas Eve”  Paella extravaganza”  at the urging of my children that insisted it was time to make new traditions and get a deserved reprieve from the big chore of the Christmas Eve Paella celebration.  I’m not going to lie, it was a very difficult thing to give up and I’m learning how we can re invent the holiday season so that I am satisfied and my kids are happy lol.  So now I have replace Paella extravaganza with Grinchmas…..we all have loved the Grinch for years so now we honor Grinchmas and we gather for the “Roast Beast”  and everything green for all the sides and desserts that everyone brings! I must admit, it is a lot less work and soooo much fun with family.  Life has it’s challenges and change can be difficult but I’m here to tell you , it is ALL worth it, every single day find joy find love and good lord find and make GOOD  food to share with friends and family, oh and don’t BLINK lol

Comments