"Muzzy's" Butter Crunch Toffie

OK, this recipe has an intresting history.  Approximately 27 years ago I was working at a local Nursing Home in Guilford Connecticut , I had the pleasure of taking care of many elderly folks those days but one in particular at this home was extra special!  "Muzzy" was her nick name and her daughter just happened to be married to Art Carney , the famous actor from "The Honeymooners" and lived nearby.  They visited regularly through out the year but during the Christmas Holidays they brought tins of delicious  Butter Crunch Toffie (home made of course) to all the staff.  Well back 27 years ago it was well known that right afte Christmas my family was going to move permantly to SW Florida which we now call home. Muzzy was ,shall we say a "spirited " personality and didnt take to too many people, but we had a special bond and she would allow me to give her a bath and dress her and brush her hair with out too much of a fuss (something that most could NOT get her to do), so as you can imagain Muzzy became permanent on my list of patients LOL!  Well about two weeks before I was moving I had asked Muzzy's daughter if I could have the recipe for her delisious candy, she said it has been in the family for years and she has never given it out.  I understood and thanked her for the candy.   Well the next week I was told that muzzy had something for me in her room, On her shelf was a can with a note on it that said "Do Not open before Christmas " and in the note the daughter and Art  Carney thanking me for taking such good care of their mother over the years and that I would be missed.  So sweet.  So as instructed I waited until Christmas to open the can, inside the can not only was the delishous candy but also the RECIPE!!!!  I was speechless , what a special gift!  I think of Muzzy and her daughter and Art Carney very fondly year after year and everytime I make this candy! I thought after 27 years of holding on to this recipe that I would finally share it so many more of you can also enjoy it!!!

INGREDIENTS:

1 LB BUTTER
2 C    SUGAR
1TB. WATER
1/4 TSP CINNAMON
1/2 CUP CHOPPED WALNUTS (ANY NUTS)
1/2 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
8 OUNCE OF HERSHEY'S MILK CHOCOLATE

CANDY THERMOMETER
BAKING SHEET 15 1/2 X 10 1/2 WITH RIM

Combine butter, sugar, water, cinnamon and cook in 2 quart pot until 260 degrees, then add nuts and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract , cook until 305 degrees. Pour onto baking sheet , pour 8 oz bag of hershey milk chocolate chips on top and spread gently then sprinkle with finely chopped nuts.

Let cool completely (I usually put into refrigerator for approx 1 hour) take out take a butter knife and rubber mallet and tap into candy to crack and make into uneven pieces, if stacking pieces in can layer with parchment paper in between layers.  Makes a great gift!!!!!

Comments